What is a Post Study Work Visa and Who Can Apply?

A Post Study Work Visa, also called a Graduate Visa, allows you to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after you finish your studies.

Who Can Apply?

You can apply for a Graduate Visa if:

  • You are currently in the UK.
  • You have a Student Visa or a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.
  • You completed a UK bachelor’s degree, postgraduate degree, or another eligible course with your Student Visa or Tier 4 Visa.
  • Your university or college has informed the Home Office that you have completed your course.

When Should You Apply for This Visa?

You must apply before your Student Visa or Tier 4 Visa expires. You can apply after your university or college has told the Home Office that you’ve finished your course. You do not need to wait until graduation or until you get your certificate.

You will need to prove your identity and provide documents as part of your application. If you need an appointment for this, your application might take longer. You’ll know if you need an appointment when you start your application.

Once you have applied online, proved your identity, and provided your documents, you will usually get a decision within 8 weeks. You can stay in the UK while you wait for a decision.

How Much Does It Cost? (as of June 2024)

To apply for a Graduate Visa, you need to:

  • Pay an application fee of £822.
  • Pay a healthcare surcharge, which is usually £1,035 for each year you stay in the UK.

What You Can and Cannot Do

With a Graduate Visa, you can:

  • Work in most jobs.
  • Look for work.
  • Be self-employed.
  • Continue living in the UK with your partner and children if they are eligible.
  • Do voluntary work.
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK.

However, you cannot:

  • Apply for most benefits (public funds) or the State Pension.
  • Work as a professional sportsperson.

Can You Study on a Graduate Visa?

You can study with a Graduate Visa only if your course is not eligible for a Student visa. If it is, you should extend your Student visa instead.

How Long Can You Stay?

The Graduate Visa is valid for 2 years. If you have a PhD or another doctoral degree, it lasts for 3 years. Your visa starts on the day it is approved.

Can You Extend This Visa?

You cannot extend a Graduate Visa. However, you might switch to a different visa, like a Skilled Worker visa, to stay longer in the UK.

This Graduate Visa is a great opportunity to gain work experience and explore the UK after your studies. Make sure you meet all the requirements and apply on time to take advantage of this visa.

Have More Questions?

if you have any questions about studying abroad, feel free to contact us now. We are here to help!

Was this article helpful?
What is a Post Study Work Visa and Who Can Apply?
Our website uses cookies. By using this website you agree to our Data Protection Policy.
Translate »